State Corporate Income Tax: 6%
Food and Beverage Tax: 7% on all prepared food and beverage sales
Admissions Tax: 5% on fees for admission or entrance into events or for amusement activities, such as movies, theater, concerts, lectures, etc.
Transient Occupancy Tax: 7% on fees charged for short-term lodging, such as hotels, motels, bed & breakfast establishments, etc.
Business Tangible Personal Property Tax: $2.12 per $100 of assessed value on tangible personal property employed in a trade or business (furniture, fixtures, equipment, machinery, tools, etc.)
Real Estate Tax: .93 per $100 of assessed value
Business and Professional License Fee: Harrisonburg employs a tier system for gross receipts $50,000 and less:
- $10,000 or under in gross receipts = $0 (However, a license IS still required, even though there is no fee)
- $10,001 – $25,000 = $25 fee
- $25,001 – $50,000 = $50 fee
If, however, the estimate is greater than $50,000, a tax rate will be applied to your estimate. There are different rates for different types of businesses as follows:
- Contractors – 16¢ per $100 gross receipts
- Retail – 20¢ per $100 gross receipts
- Repair, Personal and Business Services – 20¢ per $100 gross receipts
- Financial, Real Estate and Professional Services – 58¢ per $100 gross receipts
- Wholesale business $30 for first $1000 plus 17¢ per $100 gross receipts above $1000 ($50,000 threshold does not apply)
For more information, visit the Harrisonburg City Treasurer’s Website.