Harrisonburg enjoys an advantageous location on Interstate-81 just north of Interstate-64. Harrisonburg is within a one-day drive of Boston, Atlanta, Nashville, Indianapolis and Detroit.
Harrisonburg has access to rail via CSX, Norfolk Southern and Shenandoah Valley Railroad lines. Additionally, the city is within close proximity of air and port access:
- Shenandoah Valley Regional Airport (SHD) – 12 miles
- SHD offers direct flights to Chicago O’Hare and Dulles with the ease of free parking directly in front of the terminal.
- Charlottesville Albemarle Airport – 51 miles
- Dulles International Airport – 117 miles
- Richmond International Airport – 135 miles
- Roanoke-Blacksburg Regional Airport – 105 miles
- Inland Port of Virginia – 62 miles
- Port of Virginia – 215 miles
Express bus service from Harrisonburg to Washington, D.C. is available via the Virginia Breeze. Virginia Breeze is operated by Megabus. With one daily departure time, the service stops at Front Royal and Dulles Airport before arriving in Washington, D.C.
The City of Harrisonburg Department of Transportation provides bus service around the city and into parts of Rockingham County. The city also provides service to the campuses of James Madison University and Eastern Mennonite University.