- Harrisonburg is within 30 minutes of Shenandoah National Park and George Washington National Forest.
- Harrisonburg is designated as an Appalachian Trail Community by the A.T. Conservancy.
- Walkabout Outfitter offers equipment and expert advice on Appalachian Trail hiking.
- Named one of America’s Top 10 Mountain Bike Towns by National Geographic Society.
- Harrisonburg is recognized as the cycling capital of the Shenandoah Valley.
- Rocktown Trails at Hillandale Park
- The trails are a joint effort of volunteers and the International Mountain Bicycling Association. The trail system offers three different levels of difficulty to appeal to a complete spectrum of runners, walkers and cyclists from novice to expert.
- For trail maps, events and more information on cycling in the Valley check out visitharrisonburgva.com/outdoor-recreation.
- The Shenandoah Valley has some of the best fly fishing in the U.S. Nationally recognized Mossy Creek Fly Fishing shop can assist with equipment and provide guide service to locate the best spots.
- Lake Shenandoah is a public fishing lake with a variety of fish, including largemouth bass.
- Heritage Oaks Golf Course is a family friendly, public course.
- Lakeview Golf Course was named one of the best in the state by Virginia Living.
- Spotswood Country Club offers golf, tennis and swimming.
Snow Skiing/Four Season Resorts
Massanutten, located 20 minutes east of Harrisonburg, is a four season resort offering skiing, snowboarding, golf, hiking, biking, zip-lining and the largest indoor water park in the state.
Bryce, located 45 minutes north of Harrisonburg, is a four season resort offering skiing, snowboarding, golf, hiking, biking, lake activities and zip-lining.
Wintergreen, located a little over an hour south of Harrisonburg, is a four season resort offering skiing, snowboarding, golf, hiking, biking and lake activities.