Retail Revitalization Zone
Harrisonburg has established two Retail Revitalization Zones to promote the continued growth of the retail sector in the city.
- Zone A comprises the motor mile along South Main Street
- Zone B comprises Route 33 East from I-81 to the city limits
New construction projects in these zones that exceed $1 million in capital investment are eligible for a real property tax exemption. The real estate property tax exemption is based upon the level of investment:
- Capital investment between $1 million and $10 million = a 5 year exemption
- Capital investment between $10 million and $20 million = an 8 year exemption
- Capital investment of $20 million or more = a 10 year exemption